Sunday, April 15, 2007

Watch Before You Eat




So I visited the Downtown Denver Aquarium with one of my friends last week. I felt like such a kid, it was great! I loved it, I had so much fun that I felt a bit ridiculous. I got all excited when I saw just about every single fish in there. I’m really pretty surprised my friend didn’t punch me in the face at all; I was like an extremely over-grown three year-old. “OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE JELLY FISH!” and once we saw the clown fish, “Look! They found Nemo!” and “OH MY GOD! What if the shark eats the little fishies? They need protection!!”
So it was pretty much awesome, an escape much needed from my insane week.
What I found most interesting about my Downtown Denver Aquarium experience was the restaurant located at the end of the tour of the Downtown Denver Aquarium. It seemed a bit odd to me to spend an hour admiring hundreds of beautiful kinds of fish then walking into a restaurant to eat some fish. Not to mention the fact that the restaurant was lined with a huge aquarium covering the entire left wall. I think I made a wise decision, I ordered a salad. I did not want any angry little fishies breaking through that aquarium going for my throat.
I mean I’m still struggling with being ok with eating meat, let alone eating a fish, in front of a fish. Sure sure, fish have puny little brains and don’t know the difference anyway, but it seems a bit odd, and made me extremely uncomfortable. I’m really wondering if I’m the first person to notice anything odd about watching them before you eat them. I sure hope not.

1 comment:

BreannaVogt said...

When I visited the Aquarium I had many of the same feelings. As far as the actual exhibit itself I thought that it was really cool and interesting but overall I thought that it would be a little more impressive. At the end of the tour we went to the gift shop and I was paying more attention to the restaurant. I could not imagine ordering a seafood dish and sitting there eating it while watching the fish take a leisure stroll past your table. That is disgusting to me. I have a really hard time eating meat if I think about it too much and this is especailly true if I just spent an hour looking at them. Yuck!